Saturday, May 14, 2005

LESSONS ON LEADERSHIP FROM JESUS

LEADERSHIP LESSONS FROM JESUS
By Mark E. Hardgrove, D.Min.


Introduction

I have spent many years studying the topic of leadership. I used to read every book that I could get my hands on that dealt with leadership. In fact, the thrust of the doctoral program I finished last year was on the topic of Pentecostal Leadership. But when we consider the topic of leadership it seems to me that no one could claim more success than Jesus Christ. Even if one did not believe in Jesus as God incarnate, he or she could not deny the scope and the power of His influence throughout the world over the last 2000+ years. So I’ve laid aside John Maxwell’s books (which are inspiring), and I’ve laid aside the top business books on the topic. I’ve laid aside the business and leadership magazines and I’ve gone back to the Bible to study the leadership skills and genius of Jesus. I know that others have done the same and books are written on the subject, but I’m not using any other source than the Bible, the illuminating power of the Holy Spirit and my God given powers of insight and reflection.

When I look at my own leadership skills I can honestly assess both my strengths and weaknesses. God has used me in various leadership capacities and I am often called upon to assume leadership roles. However, I am often frustrated by several weaknesses I see in myself. I've read some books that say we can learn and develop leadership skills. Other books suggest that leadership is an innate quality. I must say that while reading the works of others on the subject I have been able to maximize my strengths, but I find that my weaknesses are still weaknesses.

I question whether it is possible, by an act of sheer will, to simply change and transform ourselves into great leaders. My premise in this study is that (1) Jesus was a great leader, (2) that through the Holy Spirit and faith we can become more like Jesus, (3) therefore, it is possible through Christ to become a better and more effective leader.

I welcome your response to these reflections over the next few weeks. I will try to develop my points in a systematic fashion that will be accessible to pastors for sermon or teaching material and I will try to keep each point “bite sized.” I will also try to leave you with a brief outline of a biblical text for you to develop into a sermon.


SERMON OUTLINE
ARE WE THERE YET?
By Mark E. Hardgrove, D.Min.
Text: Ex 13:17-18


17 When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." 18 So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea. The Israelites went up out of Egypt armed for battle. NIV

INTRODUCTION

When we have a vision of where we want to go in life we often envision the quickest route. It may be, however, that God will take us the long way. His promise is that if we endure to the end, we shall be saved. Often we are like our children in the back seat of the car on a long trip. We grow impatient and irritable as we keep asking, “Are we there yet?”

I) THERE WAS A SHORTER ROUTE BUT GOD SENT THEM THE LONG WAY

The shortest route may not be God’s plan. Our success may not come overnight, but may be a process that takes a long time. The journey, if we approach it with the right attitude and with faith, will be a part of the plan for our development to succeed once we reach the vision.

II) THERE WOULD BE BATTLES THEY WERE NOT PREPARED TO FIGHT

God could have led them through the land of the Philistines, which was much shorter and quicker, but the Philistines were fierce warriors who were more than a match for these slaves coming out of Egypt. The Israelites did not have the military skill necessary to fight these people. Those skills had to be developed in smaller battles. But perhaps more importantly, the faith of the Israelites was still very fragile. Before they faced a major conflict, God would use a series of miraculous interventions to build their faith in Him. He took them to the Red Sea and allowed them to be trapped between the enemy and the deep red sea. Why? So that He could prove Himself strong on their behalf and begin the boot camp of faith development. Furthermore, God knew that in the face of the Philistines the Israelites would be tempted to return to Egypt. So by taking the longer route, God put a sea between them and Egypt.

III) GOD SENT THEM OUT ARMED BUT IN NEED OF TRAINING

Notice, that God did not lead the Israelites out of Egypt unarmed. They were “armed for battle.” They had the arms, but they were not yet prepared to use them. They were like college graduates who have the degree, but no experience. Like new Christians who have been provided with an arsenal of spiritual weaponry, but who need to learn how to fight the good fight of faith.

CONCLUSION

If achieving your vision is taking longer than you thought it would, don’t fret, don’t grow weary, and don’t quit. Instead, realize that God may have taken you the long way so that you can learn some things on the journey that will be beneficial to you when you reach the destination. So when you ask the question, "Are we there yet?" You may just hear the Lord say, "No. You're not there yet. But you're on your way."

No comments: